12th Jan: Updated for Spurs Fulham and missing odds. Also trialing a new way of accessing the file which will allow easier updates and viewing straight from the browser – please contact with any problems.
8Jan: Updated for upcoming fixtures, 9thJan: correction for Model2 Poisson displaying incorrect data, 11th Jan: Updated for midweek fixtures (NB: odds for a number of 15th Jan fixtures are not currently available. Predictions for some games not available where not enough historical data is available).
A) xG Stats Spreadsheet
Spreadsheet compatible with Excel 2010 or later (Excel 2007 users please click here).
*NEW*: JPEG version of spreadsheet available for easier viewing on mobile phones (NB: download the file after clicking on the link. File size is 11MB): JPEG Screenshot link (11MB)
Key stats include:
- Poisson model (based on Expected Goals and team strength) to help identify value in the match and Over 2.5 odds.
- Expected goal averages across 2, 5 and 10 games plus last 2 games averages regardless of whether the game was played home or away
- Actual goal averages split by 1st and 2nd half.
- Stats showing the team who scored or conceded first and then the outcome of the match and whether there were over 2.5 goals. A great tool for making quick in-play decisions and looking for value in the odds.
- Stats showing games where a second goal was scored within 10 minutes of the previous goal. This is useful in deciding whether to close out a position after a goal. The position can be opened once the odds have drifted allowing increased profits to be locked in.
- H2H results for the past 3 seasons: while there is much debate on how relevant head-to-head stats are, they can be used as a good sense check to eliminate potentially bad trades e.g. goals may look likely but due to local rivalry, previous H2H results have been low scoring.
Spreadsheet Guide: spreadsheet guide is available on the blog: spreadsheet guide
Poisson predictions v2.0: xG predictions are calculated based off xG, team strength, current form. A second model based on xG only is in the final columns (NB: just because there is value, it does not mean the team will win. The predictions do not take account of team news and should be used as a starting point for further analysis – see spreadsheet guide noted above).
B) PROP Model
This was created after a rival website was selling something very similar for around £300. More details can be found below:
- Team power ratings based on historical goals (NB: this is not based on xG).
- Power ratings then converted to odds to look for potential value in games.
- Profitability by teams and leagues when odds fall within ranges of the current Home and Away Odds Prices.
- Data updated twice a week including provisional odds for the upcoming games (odds can then be manually overridden as needed).
- Beginner Poisson model also included.